AUSD Homework Workgroup
Following community interest in reviewing district homework policies and practices, AUSD is convening a homework workgroup. This workgroup will meet monthly beginning in April 2017 (no meetings will be held during the months of July/August) and will bring together representatives from multiple stakeholder groups including teachers, parents/guardians, students, and other district personnel. This process will continue into the 2017-18 academic school year.
The workgroup is tasked with the following actions:
- Gather data and conduct analysis of the homework experience in AUSD
- Survey teachers, students, and families to examine their views and experiences with homework
- Review site homework policies to assess alignment across sites, consistency within sites, and adherence to stated district and site policies
- Review research summaries and examples of policies from other districts
- Develop policy recommendations to be presented to the Superintendent.
The workgroup will be composed of:
- 6 classroom teachers
- 2 non-classroom teachers representing Special Education and English Learners
- 5 parents/guardians
- 3 students
- 2 site administrators
- 3-4 district administrators
Workgroup members will be selected to maximize representation of school sites, grade levels, and content areas.
Parent/guardian members with experience as educators and teachers who have current/past students in Alameda Unified will be prioritized to maximize workgroup members with dual experience.
Monthly meetings will be held from 4:00 – 6:00 PM and committee members may have small amounts of reading between meeting dates in preparation for the following meeting.
March 24, 2017 5:00 PM Due date for All Applications
March 28, 2017 Committee members notified of selection status
April 18, 2017 4:00 – 6:00 PM First meeting of AUSD Homework Committee
Applications can be obtained at the following locations:
- The front desk at the AUSD District Office at 2060 Challenger Drive, Alameda CA, 94501.
- THIS LINK
- The office of any AUSD school site
Steven Fong, Chief Academic Officer, Educational Services
Phone: 510.337.7092 Fax: 510.337.7018